Victoria Automatic Sock Knitting Machine
Donated by: Joyce Thomas
Location: Shellharbour City Museum Collection
Mary Thomas (nee James) used this Victoria Automatic Sock Machine to knit socks for soldiers during World War 1. Mary lived at Clover Hill farm, Macquarie Pass, with her husband and children for 16 years, before moving to St Ives farm at Dunmore in 1912.
James Road at Dunmore is named after Mary’s family who established the famous James dairy herd. The family home Bravella was built by Mary’s father William. Mary’s husband Harry was the son of Sarah and William Thomas who worked for Henry Osborne at his Marshall Mount Estate from 1838.
Not many sock machines of this period survive as most were melted down for munitions during World War 2.