Thomas Bakery Ovens
Donated by: Shellharbour City Council Collection
Location: rear foyer of Addy’s Restaurant, Addison Street, Shellharbour Village
John Thomas came to Australia with his parents William and Sarah in 1838. The family first lived on the Marshall Mount Estate and worked for Henry Osborne. John married Maria Haslam and they settled in Shellharbour, where he operated one of the first stores in the village.
In 1857, John purchased a site in Addison Street and set about building a store and residence. His son, also John, established a bakery behind the shop.
The store and bakery were demolished in 2000, to make way for a restaurant. The bakery ovens were retained on the site and are one of the oldest surviving examples of industry in Shellharbour.