Places

Explore the history and heritage of some of the most beautiful spots in Shellharbour City. Want to know more? Contact us and we’ll try to help.

Lake Illawarra

The area around the lake entrance was part of an original 1821 grant to Thomas Davey. Lake Illawarra itself covers 38 square kilometres.

read more

Yellow Rock

Yellow Rock was once a dairy farming community and is named for the yellow sandstone cliffs of the escarpment. The local yellow rock stone was used to construct many buildings in the township of Albion Park.

read more

Moreton Bay Fig Tree

This grand fig tree is arguably the largest in Shellharbour City. It is home to countless species of birds, insects and flying fox who feed off the fruit.

read more

Aronda

Aronda was built about 1890 on land owned by George Laurence Fuller of Dunmore. In 1917, on the death of her father, Edith Fuller inherited the property.

read more

The California

Albert Orange had high hopes for the tourist trade around the lake foreshore. In the late 1920s he built a two-story guesthouse Illawarra House on the foreshore at The Esplanade, Oak Flats.

read more

Ravensthorpe

Ravensthorpe was built in 1893 for Doctor Arthur Wigley Bateman and his family. Dr Bateman was the first physician based in Albion Park and his surgery was on the eastern side of the home.

read more

Windradene

Windradene was owned by the Allen family who operated the post office and store in Addison Street. The Allen’s lived in their home Karamia, which was next door to Windradene.

read more

Yovelton

Siblings, Edwin and Ida Bonser purchased 189 acres on the Oak Flats Estate about 1920, and built Yovelton, a lovely timber federation farmhouse.

read more

Nurrewin

Nurrewin was built in 1904 from Yellow Rock sandstone, for William Mann and Ann Olga Thompson (nee Glasson).

read more

Albion Park Showground

The first Albion Park Show was held in 1888 with 49 exhibitors in the dairy cattle section. Exhibits included horses, sheep, swine, butter, cheese, hams, fruit and much more.

read more

Wentworth Cottage Park

John E Reddall built Wentworth Cottage in 1896 and named it after his great grandfather, original Shellharbour landowner, D’Arcy Wentworth.

read more

Toongla

Toongla is believed to have been built by William Billyard in the 1860s-1870s. In 1898 the homestead was purchased by William Moles.

read more

Minnamurra School House

Minnamurra School was officially opened in 1883. The new school replaced the Peterborough School which was in a dilapidated condition nearby.

read more

Dunmore House

George Laurence Fuller built Dunmore House of local basalt on a hill overlooking his estate. Here, George and his wife Sarah raised their large family of 12 children.

read more

Ocean Beach Hotel

The Ocean Beach Hotel was built for Henrietta Bush in 1929. It could accommodate sixty guests and was built to cater to the tourist trade.

read more

Blackbutt

Named for the coastal Blackbutt Eucalyptus pilularis. Blackbutt Forest Reserve is a unique natural bushland of some 250 acres, and hosts a variety of bird life and vegetation.

read more

Dunmore

In 1865, the southern division of the Peterborough Estate of Shellharbour was sold to George Laurence Fuller, who called his new estate Dunmore after his old family home in Ireland.

read more

Albion Park Rail

The area now known as Albion Park Rail was granted to William Charles Wentworth in 1821. The suburb developed around the railway station that opened in 1887.

read more

Albion Park

Albion Park was originally part of a grant issued to former convict Samuel Terry in 1817.

read more

Oak Flats

Oak Flats was originally a grant of 1,200 acres known as the Oak Flats Run, to Army Officer John Horsley in 1821.

read more

Bass Point

Bass Point Reserve is a 4km long natural promontory, around 100 hectares in size. It is the most prominent coastal headland in the Illawarra.

read more

Croom

The name Croom was assigned to the grant of Isabella Croker in 1839. Ebenezer Russell purchased the estate of 1280 acres in 1840, for 5 shillings per acre.

read more

Killalea State Park

Edward Killalea was born in County Galway Ireland in c.1816. When he was 19 years old he was involved in a brawl in which two men were killed.

read more

Shellharbour

Shellharbour Village was part of a grant of over 13,000 acres to D’Arcy Wentworth, named Peterborough. The grant included all the land from the Minnamurra River in the south to Lake Illawarra in the north.

read more
Amazing Stories image  

Online Exhibition

Amazing Stories

Learn more about the events and characters, that have shaped the history of the Shellharbour area, with this great collection of online stories.

View Exhibition

Opening hours

Monday to Thursday 9.30am–8pm
Friday 9.30am–5pm
Saturday 9am–3pm
Sunday 12pm–3pm