Macquarie Pass National Park
Aboriginal people travelled up and down a track from the valley at Macquarie Pass to the escarpment for thousands of years before European settlers came to the area.
Carl Webber was employed to map a route for a road up Macquarie Pass, and Archibald Campbell MLA for the Illawarra paid for the cost of the initial survey.
Macquarie Pass officially opened 4 July 1898. A marble tablet marking the opening of the Pass was placed on a rock wall at the top hair pin bend. It reads –
Macquarie Pass opened July 4th 1898 by the Hon. J. B. Young Minister for Works and Archibald Campbell M.P., this tablet erected by the Borough Council L. R. Mood Mayor Shellharbour, S.N. Co. J. Fraser J.P. Chairman, Albion Park A&H Society J. Brownlie President Robertson A. Society W.R. Hindmarsh President.
In 1969, Macquarie Pass was reserved as Macquarie Pass National Park, an area of 1,064 hectares.