Handmade Wax Cows
Donated by: the Thomas Family (Thomas Memorial Library Collection)
Location: Shellharbour City Museum Collection
These miniature cows were handmade from wax and cowhide by members of the Thomas family of Shellharbour. William and Sarah Thomas came to the area to work for Henry Osborne at his Marshall Mount Estate in 1838 and their descendants still live in Shellharbour today.
The model cows are believed to have been made by William and Sarah’s daughter-in-law, Maria Thomas who lived with her husband John in Shellharbour Village. The cows were once part of the Thomas Memorial Library Collection that was housed in the School of Arts buildings at Shellharbour Village.